Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Stuck in a Rut

I've had a creative block for a while now.  At the moment, it doesn't feel like it's ever going to go away.  I wish I could figure out what has caused it.  I wish I could figure out how to make it go away.  But I sit at my bench and just STARE...

I know part of it is personal.  I want something that I can't really put my finger on.  Change.  Something to happen.  A door to open.  Maybe even one slamming shut.  Anything to jolt me out of the everyday rut that I'm in.

My children are growing up.  One is 21.  He was going to college to be an engineer, but has decided to "take some time off".  Gosh, I hope he goes back! My other one is 18.  He's a senior in high school.  He wants to be a Marine.  He plans to leave in the fall. My babies are leaving me...

So maybe part of my problem is that even though my people need me, they really don't.  They're making decisions for themselves. They're on their way out the door.  I'm in a totally new situation.  I can do whatever I'd like to do.  And I don't know what that is. This should make me happy, right?  So why do I feel like I'm in limbo?

I'm signed up to take a class.  It's a jewelry casting class.  It's intended as a beginner class, but I've cast before, so it will be a much needed refresher class for me.  I'm hoping that being around other artists will be like it was in college.  That we'll inspire each other, and my creative juices will start flowing again. 

I'm also working out every day.  I figure that if I can't accomplish anything at my bench, at least I can work on myself.  I might even try to get certified to be a cycling instructor.  Who knows?  That might be a good change.

So now I need ideas.  What can I do to get out of my rut?  Do any of you have any ideas on what might help me become inspired again?  I'd love your ideas, if you have any for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment